Our General Service Area (Area 61) in RI connects us with A.A. throughout the rest of the United States and Canada, as well as connecting us with the General Service Office in New York. Through this connection, A.A. in Rhode Island is able to participate in the decision-making and development of policies of AA through the General Service Conference in New York each Spring. This connection is also filled with a wealth of Service Opportunities in A.A. Take a look at the links below and you might discover Service Opportunities beyond the Group level that you were not aware of. Hopefully, you’ll find many ways to give back for the gift of sobriety which was so freely given to you.
If you are new to service it is advisable to seek out a ‘service sponsor’. This person could be your AA sponsor but, generally, a ‘service sponsor’ can be defined as ‘an alcoholic who has made some progress in the recovery program and has done service work outside the group level and shares that experience on a continuous, individual basis with another alcoholic who is attempting to attain or maintain sobriety in conjunction with service work through AA’.
- Collect, catalog, and help preserve AA’s history in RI
- Help plan, coordinate, conduct and record Long Timer meetings
- Display Archives at Area events
Archives Alternate Chair
- Help plan, coordinate and produce the best State Convention in the world every March in Newport
- Many positions available on this fun Committee
Elections for all Convention Committee positions occurs during the May 2018 Committee meeting.
- Speak about AA with professionals who come into contact with alcoholics in their daily working lives (doctors, teachers, clergy, counselors etc.)
- Speak at schools, colleges, health fairs etc.
- Coordinate radio or TV Public Service Announcements, bus ads, etc.
- Help bring a meeting into the ACI or Wyatt Correctional Facility in Central Falls
- Help develop and maintain a Corrections meeting list
- Help get interested people in gaining clearance into these facilities
- Take an inmate to a meeting upon release through the Bridging the Gap Corrections Program
Corrections Committee has been asked by the ACI to start a new meeting for men in the High Security Unit. They would like this meeting to be on a weekend day. We need some male volunteers to staff the new meeting. The day and time of the meeting will be decided by the availablity of volunteers. Any questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-378-6561 prompt 5 and leave a message.Clearance forms are available on the Corrections page of the aainri.com website.
- Help raise awareness of the Grapevine/La Vina, our meeting in print as a tool of recovery.
Grapevine Alternate Chair
GSR (GENERAL SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE)
- Perhaps the most important role in AA. It is through the GSR that each group has a voice and a vote in matters affecting AA as a whole. This connection helps keep AA groups informed, but also keeps them unified both in a practical sense and spiritually. If your group doesn’t have a GSR, consider bringing it up at your next business meeting.
- Each Area in AA is divided into Districts. All of the GSRs in a District meet at a monthly meeting organized by a District Committee Member (DCM).
District 2 & 4 Combined DCM
District 2 & 4 Combined Alternate DCM
- Archives Committee District Representative
- Cooperation with the Professional Community/Public Information(CPC/PI) Committee District Representative
- Information Services Committee District Representative
District 6 Alternate DCM
- RISCYPAA/NECYPAA Committee Representative
District 8 Alternate DCM
- Help bring a meeting or literature into a Treatment Center, detox, Hospital or rehab
- Help improve the accuracy of wheelchair-accessible designations in meeting lists
- Bring someone getting out of treatment to a meeting through the Treatment/Accessibilities Bridging the Gap program
Treatment & Accessibilities Alternate Chair
- Always looking for people experienced with WordPress
- Help with copywriting and content management
- Help with event updates
- Help with web and graphic design