Corrections sees that the A.A. message is carried to those in prison, many of whom have problems with alcohol and are seeking help from us.
There is a special procedure for all visitors to Correction Facilities. Correction Committee members assist this process and put on meetings inside the walls of the correctional institutions in Rhode Island for women, men and juveniles.
Committee members collect conference approved literature (the Books Behind Bars program) donated by individuals and groups for use by the inmates, which is another way that committee members help these inmates. The document “Guidelines for Corrections” is published in New York is very powerful and is recommended reading.
There is also a need for individuals who would be willing to assist in the Bridging the Gap program.
To join those who perform this valuable service click here. If you would like to sign up a group of individuals for this vital service, please click here for the group sign up form and bring it to the next meeting.
How to become a member of the Corrections Committee:
Contacting the Chair usually gets the ball rolling but appearing at the next committee meeting (above) provides an excellent opportunity to refine your interest.
Gaining entrance to a correctional facility: As an effort to assist people in serving at the correctional facilities, we have posted the information form required.
1. Times for meetings at the ACI
2. Forms for entrance to the New/Renewal ACI (Adult Corrections Institution) Application, the PREA ackowledgement form
3. Driving Directions Download Here
4. Dress Code Download Here
Please download the form noted above for the facility you wish to visit and return it to:
Area 61 Corrections Committee, PO Box #9342, Providence , RI 02904
Once clearance has been obtained you will be notified.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO BRING MEETINGS INTO WYATT DETENTION FACILITY
There is a need for male volunteers to bring meetings into Wyatt Detention Facility in Central Falls. We are down to a handful of cleared & trained volunteers and it is very likely that over the next few weeks there will be open meetings.
Meetings take place on Tuesday evenings at 8:15PM. On average, men’s meetings have 3 to 4 detainees.
Women’s meetings take place on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 1:30PM and on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 8:15PM.
Wyatt is located at 950 High Street, Central Falls, RI 02863. It is 14 miles/23 minutes north from the ACI. To determine distance from your home or group, enter the address into MapQuest or a similar site.
Requirements for Wyatt volunteers:
1) Complete the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility Standard Volunteer Application Form (5 pages) and the PREA acknowledgement form.
Mail completed form to Area 61, Attn: Corrections Committee, 3649 Post Rd., Warwick, R.I. 02886
2) Attend a 3 hour orientation & training session facilitated by Wyatt staff. Training usually takes place on a weekday morning.
3) Get a photo taken as part of the clearance process.
4) After you are cleared, trained and photographed…start going in to hold AA meetings. It is best for scheduling purposes if volunteers can commit to at least one Tuesday per month. New volunteers will be paired up with seasoned volunteers.
To Contact the Corrections Committee, call the answering service for the Area 61 Offces: 1-888-378-6561, press #5 for Corrections or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.